Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Father's World Kindergarten: Unit 2 Moon and part of unit 3 Leaf

We finished Moon last week. I sort of combined with the Sun unit, since that made sense.

Fun activities included making a moon cake (recipe in guide). We made different sized craters in the moon dust and added different ingredients to each crater. Baked it in a pie pan and cut it like the moon gets smaller. The kids loved it, but when it calls for "oil," find something other than the olive oil I had on hand. Gross.

We talked about how in the sun unit, we learned that Jesus is the light of the world, and how the moon reflects the sun. We are like the moon, and we reflect Jesus' light to the world.

A few other activities and crafts, some Magic School Bus episodes (Gravity and Space Rocks) and some library books.

I had intended for us to go to the Children's Museum to view some planetarium shows, but we were sick with a stomach bug. So we'll have to do that another time.

Johnny enjoyed this unit and so did I.

Leaf

So, if I had been thinking a little more clearly, I would have skipped the leaf unit for a few more weeks. We don't have fresh leaves on the trees at the moment. Some people just use house plants (we only have one living one at the moment) and some go to nurseries or the floral section of a store. The weather was crud plus still recovering from germs, so that didn't happen.

We planted some strawberry seeds and sunflower seeds in a little kit that I got from Target. I hope they grow! And we also put some celery stalks in water with food coloring and watched the color go up.

We'll do the leaf crafts and activities later when we have some to work with.

Next up is Apple. It would be ideal to save this one for the fall, but I dunno. I'm going to look at the activities to see if we can do this one anyway.

I also think I'll do unit 21 Butterfly probably in May. We'll do a butterfly garden from a kit and I'd prefer to release the butterflies in the spring.

Since we're not doing MFWK phonics, I think we can mix this up relatively ok. But I'm not sure about the worksheets and other activities for that unit, if he'll be ready for them. If not, we'll save them for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!