Monday, June 3, 2013

First day of swimming lessons!

Ooh! I'm so proud. Johnny and Vivie had their first day of swimming lessons, and it went...wait for it...


swimmingly.


ba-dum-CHING!

Johnny was in a preschool group of 3-5 year-olds. There were four other kids with one teacher. Great ratio. He listened to his teacher and as far as I know, did what she told him. Yay! This is the same kid who as a young toddler would scream bloody murder during bath time, and fight with every ounce of his being to stay dry.

He's normally a laid-back kid, so you could tell there really was something about the bath that he didn't like. He has since gotten past that issue, and now takes baths cooperatively.

A few months ago, we went to a pool that had some fun things -- a kid slide, sprayers, etc. and a zero-entry access. It went well with both kids, so I was optimistic about signing them up for classes.

Vivie and I were in the mommy & me class for babies-toddlers. Vivie was less enthusiastic about it. Maybe because the water was really cold. Maybe it was because she couldn't reach the bottom, and was just a bit unsure about the whole thing. I didn't push her. I just wanted her to be in the water with me for the whole class, and to not throw a fit. We'll try more tomorrow.

She clung to me the entire time, except for when the teacher had the kids jump into the pool into mama's arms. Vivie didn't go under water at ALL. But she loved the jumping to mama thing, so that went well. I got an upper body workout I wasn't expecting (hello, she's 30+ lbs)!.

But yes. Overall, good stuff. Seven more sessions to go.

Johnny wanted to know why his teacher didn't show him how to do the freestyle stroke yet (he didn't know the name; he just did the motions). I like that he's thinking big-picture here.

In the middle of the pool, there was some sort of middle or high school swim team doing laps, and it really impressed my kids. It was a good distraction for Vivie, too, when she started getting ideas about getting out of the pool before the class was over. Heh!



1 comment:

  1. Hooray for a great start to swimming! Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for your kind words about the workbox series. Always glad to hear when young families are considering homeschooling. Blessings on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!